- If you try to fry cabbage it works but pops at you
- Daddy Long-legs are one of the most poisonous spiders in the world.
- When they are disturbed or when they are under a threat of attack, they start vibrating in their web violently to scare off and discourage their enemy. Therefore, they are also known by yet another common name of vibrating spiders.
- It is said that the venom of this spider is one of the most poisonous. Since the fangs of these spiders are too small to penetrate the skin, it is not considered a dangerous spider. Many spiders use their venom to kill their prey but the poison of almost all of them is harmless to humans.
- They have four pairs of legs. The first pair of legs is five and half times the length of its body. The legs do not have any prickles but have long stiff hairs.
- They consume every insect like flies, ear worms, beetles and so on. The daddy long legs also put on their menu other spiders like the house spider, wolf spiders, jumping spiders and so on.
- In winter, when there is hardly any insect left, the spider has to seek its prey among the next of kin.
- When ready to copulate, the male spider makes couple of silk threads, then places his genital area on the thread and starts rubbing along the thread which stimulate his sexual organs. This action produces secretion containing his sperms, which is drawn toward his poison fangs, which is sucked up by his palps. Now the male is ready for the mating and goes in search of a female. When he finds the female, he lets her know of his honorable intentions by vibrating his whole body on her web. As the female approaches, the male caresses her first pair of legs, which quickly wins her favor. He then inserts both of his palps in the female vulva. While this is happening, its is not unusual to find another male spider waiting for his turn. The female lives for about 3 years. But the male lives only for a year, copulates and dies.
- The daddy-longlegs does not have many enemies but sometimes they get caught. Most daddy-longlegs probably die in a vacuum cleaner.
Thanks go to http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Pholcidae/Pholcidae.htm for the information.
As I mentioned previously, today I was supposed to be continuing my job search by completing some online tests using the designated company that John Laing (and alot of other businesses also use) called SHL. On SHL you are able to try some practice tests so it is worth checking out. I was told there would be technical issues with the site until 5:30pm so at 7:30pm I attempted to do the testing required for the recruitment process only to find the following message appear:
"We cannot complete your registration at the moment because your link to the server seems to have been broken. You may have lost your link to the internet or been cut-off. Please return at a later time to try again or contact your administrator for further details."
This appears typical of the amount of bad luck I continually receive, sometimes it seems destined that I will never get the job I strive for. A call to the recruiter confirmed that she will extend the deadline so hopefully tomorrow it should work. All this after going to Sainsburys before to buy a shiny new Casio calculator! I believe that the numerical part of the testing will focus on percentages quite a bit again as this continues to be what recruiters look for in a numeric candidate after going for tests in London a couple weeks ago (before this blog began) for I-Level, a digital media company. I have found this link useful although I still don't really understand a great deal of it, intermediate maths at GCSE was a long time ago! - Percentages.
Latest Graduate Vacancy News (courtesy of Milkround)
- 80% of graduates satisfied with university experience
- Graduates want to travel in their jobs
- Unequal pay fuelling loss of women in IT workforce
It is at this time when Freshers Week begins for most university's that I wish I was back to being a student again, lack of real money problems, drinking daily, not really having to think about a career until 3rd year, relaxing with friends. Going to Sainsburys today in Fallowfield reiterated this point, swarmed with students eager to spend on accessories and luxury food items. Looking back, I would say I was definitely satisfied with my University experience and I believe without having gone to University, I would be a completely different person than I am today. The three year transition enabled me to go from a rather shy introverted individual to someone not afraid to voice their opinion and make the most of opportunities provided. In terms of looking to travel abroad to work, my parents have already suggested the idea of moving to America or Australia! However in my current situation I feel it is too soon to do that, I would rather settle in Manchester or hopefully London, and get to know my friends better whilst developing new friendships where the world of work takes me.
I feel at this stage it is appropriate to end this post. Tomorrow I start week 2 of a temporary assignment I have been placed in at Swinton Insurance in Manchester City Centre. It involves typing out stationary orders for 7 and a half hours each day. How I wish for a proper job in the big smoke!
Listening to: Senses Fail - Still Searching.

No comments:
Post a Comment